About The Unity Center
Founded in 1990 by Rev. Victoria Etchemendy, The UNITY Center is a member of the Association of Unity Churches, an international organization based in Lees Summit, Missouri.
What Is UNITY?
UNITY is a positive, practical, progressive approach to spirituality, which honors the universal truths in all religions and respects each individual’s right to choose a spiritual path.
Unity teaches that each person is a unique expression of God created with sacred worth. Living from that awareness transforms our lives and the world.
Unity emphasizes the creative power of thought in our life experience. We refer to this as the Law of Mind Action.
When we take personal responsibility to choose life-affirming thoughts, words and actions, we experience a more fulfilling and abundant life.
Unity emphasizes the importance of applying spiritual principles in our daily lives.
Five Basic Unity Principles:
- God is the only presence and power in the universe and God is absolute good.
- We are individualized expressions of God. Each of us has a spark of divinity within us, the “Light” within. Our essence is of God, and therefore we are also inherently good.
- We create our experience by the activity of our thinking. Everything in the manifest realm has its beginning in thought.
- Prayer is creative thinking that heightens the connection with God-Mind and therefore brings forth wisdom, healing, prosperity and everything good.
- Knowing and understanding the laws of life, also called Truth, are not enough. We must also live the Truth we know.
The UNITY Movement
The Unity movement was founded by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore in 1889 as a healing ministry based on the power of prayer and the power of our thoughts to create our own reality. The Fillmores regarded Jesus as the great example rather than the great exception; interpreted the Bible metaphysically; and taught that God is present within all of us. Unity Village, in Lees Summit, MO became the home and headquarters of what is now an international force with over 1000 Unity centers worldwide. Unity teachings continue to evolve as we identify, embrace and apply spiritual insights and the spiritual implications of new discoveries. Click Here to learn more about Unity Worldwide ministries.